This tangy dish was created as a side item on the menu at my restaurants, Grezzo. The idea came to me when I was trying to find a dynamic and fun use for cauliflower!
Since the veggie has a pretty plain taste, I wanted to create a really explosive recipe that allowed for all the amazing health benefits of cauliflower, with a more intense taste.
Studies have shown that cauliflower is great for fighting cancer, boosting heart and brain health, and detoxifying your digestive system. On top of that it’s really high in vitamins and minerals, proteins, and fiber.
Since this is pickled cauliflower, the digestive benefits are even higher than in regular cauliflower. When foods are naturally fermented the carbohydrates and proteins contained in the food are broken down by micro-organisms, and this increases your overall nutrition by promoting the growth of friendly bacterial flora.
This bacterial flora will help relieve stomach bloat, fight off harmful bacteria, support your immune system, and do wonders for in aiding digestive system. The probiotics found in naturally fermented foods can help treat IBS, dermatitis, and even common colds!
So this Pickled cauliflower is tasty, and it’s great for you!
Makes 4 cups.
· 1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
· 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
· 1 teaspoon cardamom pods, crushed
· 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
· 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
· 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
· 1 small head cauliflower, broken into small florets
· 4 garlic cloves, smashed
1. Put the vinegar, ½ cup of water, and turmeric in a bowl and whisk to create the brine. Set aside.
2. Tie the crushed cardamom, fennel and mustard seeds, and coriander pods in a square of cheesecloth to make a satchel. Drop the satchel into a clean quart-sized jar. Add the cauliflower and garlic and cover with brine.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days before using. These
pickles will keep for up to one month in the refrigerator.
The turmeric turns the cauliflower bright yellow. For an added flavor boost, add two tablespoons of freshly grated ginger and 1 peeled and bashed lemongrass stalk.